Apr 25, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
Four games into the opening round of the NHL playoffs, the Flyers and Sabres are giving us plenty of reasons to watch. Fans of both sides would probably prefer their team be up a game at this point, particularly Philadelphia, who entered the series as the favorite with their 2 seed. But as we see from year to year, there’s plenty of parity in the NHL, and seedings can mean next to nothing once the first puck is dropped. The home ice advantage can help, and the Flyers will look to reap that benefit tonight as the series comes back from lovely Buffalo. It’s the perfect point in the series to return home to Philly too. The Flyers and Sabres are knotted at a pair of wins apiece, and the shit has officially begun to hit the fan both on and off the ice. Such a sweet, sweet guy. Check out the video below on the escalating war of words between the two teams, plus what it might mean for tonight’s game.
Great to see how this type of back and forth through the media puts a smile on even Peter Laviolette’s face. I honestly can’t recall him ever looking so happy. Of course, how can you not laugh when Lindy Ruff accuses you of whining? It’s also pretty hilarious to hear Danny Briere talk about how this is just Lindy being Lindy, and Danny would know after his all his seasons in Buffalo.
I don’t know that I necessarily agree that this is all just for the media and fans though. As the on-ice action has gotten chippier, the chatter after the games has ratcheted up as well. Heading into game 5, these two teams hate each other. Trash talk often seems to spill over into games and vice-versa. You gotta love playoff hockey and the way a series can evolve from skirmish to battle to war. We could be in for a nasty night in South Philly.
Photo by Flickr user boogerfingers. yep.
Unfortunately, it looks like the Flyers will be without the services of Jeff Carter and Chris Pronger, possibly for the rest of the series per Tim Panaccio’s report. It is worrisome to have them both out for this key game in the series and what’s sounding a bit more like the next few games at least. The depth we’ve heard and talked about for so long will be tested tonight.
It’s not exactly an alien situation though. While the Flyers enjoyed a pretty healthy regular season run, they showed in the 2010 playoffs that they can rally in the face of even multiple simultaneous injuries. In a postseason as long and physical as the NHL’s, the war of attrition will claim its share of victims. It’s up to the guys left on the ice to take it up a notch. Either Ben Holmstrom or Zac Rinaldo will be active per Lisa Hillary. The decision between the two may come down to who Ruff has in his lineup.
Similar to after game 1, the Flyers really shouldn’t need to change much after being shut out in game 4. They played pretty well, just as they had in games 3 and 4. Hopefully the Ryan Miller from those two outings will show up tonight. Miller was masterful in game 5, and there’s little a team can do when the opposing goalie is that locked in. The Flyers will try tonight though, presumably with some crease activity early.
Enjoy your Friday night and what could be a pretty wild and entertaining game. Both teams should be fired up from the start.
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Chutley on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return