Oct 24, 2011, 4:26 PM EDT
The Leafs come to town pretty hot, having started the season at a 5-1-1 clip. The Flyers, on the other hand, have cooled considerably after their first start, losing their last two games in rather convincing fashion.
Toronto is scoring a ton of goals, led by Phil Kessel (8 goals, 6 assists in 7 games) and our old pal Joffrey Lupul, who has 4 goals and 4 assists. Dion Phaneuf is contributing in a big way as well, with 7 assists to go with a pair of goals.
Backups In Net
Unfortunately for the Leafs, they’ll be without their top goalie, last year’s rookie phenom James Reimer. Reimer took an elbow to the head on Saturday night and will miss at least tonight’s game. Jonas Gustavsson will start his second game of the season. In his previous outing against the Flyers, our boys hung 6 on him.
Sergei Bobrovsky will get the call in net for the Flyers, who had some obvious trouble in communications between Ilya Bryzgalov and his defense on Saturday.
While they certainly weren’t all his fault, Bryz has given up 9 goals in his past two starts. He hasn’t been at his best, and that’s not something he wears well.
Two-for-One ‘Andreas’ Night in the Press Box
Jody Shelley will reportedly be in the lineup tonight, with Andreas Nodl getting the scratch; Matt Walker will also be in for Andreas Lilja. Ryan Bright points out that Shelley will dress to be Colton Orr protection and Walker should add some toughness to the blue line for a game that could be pretty rough.
The Brothers Schenn
Flyers phenom Brayden Schenn rebounded from a -3 debut against the Caps to be one of the better Flyers on the ice in the loss to the Blues. Lining up with Danny Briere and Wayne Simmonds, the 20-year-old found his stride once Lavvy switched him back to center to start the second period, and the kid saw his ice time increase by nearly 8 minutes. He’ll get to see his older brother Luke tonight, and Tim Panotch says their family will be in from Saskatoon to see the boys square off. Brother Bowls aren’t all that uncommon in the NHL, but it’d be great to see Brayden put Luke on his ass in the open ice.
Here’s what we’d like the Flyers Genie (Ryan from FGSB) to grant tonight…
1) Jagr breaks his goalless start to the season
2) Riemer earns back the playing time he quietly surrendered on Saturday as the hardest working man on the ice
3) Winter Classic tickets…?
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Mungman on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money