Mar 8, 2012, 4:49 PM EST
The Flyers are
hoping to make it four in a row tonight as they host the Florida
Panthers, who currently sit in first place in the Southeast Division
despite technically being below .500. Such is the state of southern
hockey, as well as the parity of a league with a scoring system that
awards points for overtime losses. The Panthers currently have one fewer win than either of the divisional foes directly below them, but on the
strength of 12 OTLs, hold a two-point lead in the division, putting
them in third place in the conference seedings.
Every game thread about a not-so-great team should include some
mention that they’re still good enough to win tonight, which is all we
really care about. Their 31 wins did not all come against the
Hurricanes. However, like the Flyers, the Panthers will take the ice
without some key players.
Leading scorer and former Flyers rental Kris Versteeg is out, as
is Scottie Upshall, who hasn’t seen action since these teams played in
January. Defenseman Dmitry Kulikov is out with a bad knee.
the Flyers, there’s been a snowball effect with injuries starting to
pile up. JVR, Kimmo, and Big Mesz are still out, and it appeared Jaromir
Jagr and Jake Voracek would each miss at least one game after each were taken
out in the battle with Detroit, although Timmy P. seems to think Jagr will give it a go. Harry Z was called up for forward
relief, and defenseman Brandon Manning was also invited for coffee.
Interestingly, the Flyers have actually played some good defense
while two of their back line pillars have been out. Ilya Bryzgalov is
playing his best hockey as a Flyer, and the marking’s been tighter in
front of the net, the forechecking fairly aggressive (and, importantly, effective).
The Flyers have won both previous matchups this season, and another one is on the calendar later in the month.
Can Bryz give the Panthers the silent treatment?
|MJS on Video: All hell breaks loose a…|
|baxter097 on Stop blaming Claude Giroux for…|
|galasso2586 on Video: All hell breaks loose a…|
|t800m101 on Video: All hell breaks loose a…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages