Mar 2, 2012, 8:25 AM EST
It’s already been a milestone season for a few Flyers, and tonight, a few more joined them en route to a 6-3 win over the Islanders. Jaromir Jagr moved to 8th all time on the NHL scoring list, topping Joe Sakic’s mark of 1,641 with a first period assist, then adding to his total with with his 17th goal of the season in the second. Next on the list is former teammate and fellow hockey legend Mario Lemieux, who comes in at 1,723 games, albeit in decidedly fewer games than anyone anywhere near this place in the record books.
Kimmo Timonen assisted Jagr’s goal, good for his 500th career point. Kimmo’s a humble guy, but it was apparent after the game that he was proud of the achievement, which he chalked up to consistency and staying healthy.
A look at the career marks Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell set, plus more notes from the game and video highlights, below.
Kimmo’s Acceptance Speech Giroux added three assists to his impressive season
Kimmo’s Acceptance Speech
Giroux added three assists to his impressive season, giving him 52 and counting. His previous career high was 51, and Flyers PR says he’s the fourth Flyer to top 50 helpers in consecutive seasons, the first since Mark Recchi since the turn of the century. Bobby Clark did it eight straight times from 1972 to 1980.
Hartnell scored his 31st goal of the season, topping his previous career high. As we’ve seen plenty of times this season, he got comfortable in the slot and snapped one past Evgeni Nabokov. Harts Max Talbot (17) and Wayne Simmonds (22) have previously notched new career marks in goals in their debut season with the team. Lots of goals to go around this year…
Matt Read is a rookie, so everything he does marks a new career high, but he deserves a mention after scoring both his 17th and 18th goals (take that, Jagr, with your 17!). Reader’s at 38 points on the season, currently in third among rookies despite enduring a slump that perhaps ended with his shootout winner in Calgary, even if it didn’t count toward his total.
Read scored a very pretty goal off a perfect feed from Wayne Simmonds, who put a laser on his tape from across the ice:
Early Woes Continue…
The Flyers got off to another poor start when the Islanders scored just 95 seconds in, the ninth straight time they conceded the game’s first goal and third straight they allowed one in the first 4 minutes. Coming into the game, they were 13-17-2 when letting up the first goal. Fortunately, they were also 20-2-2 when leading after the first period, which they did after Read and Andrej Meszaros tallied.
Lavvy called a timeout before 4 minutes had ticked off the game clock and gave his flock a rousing sermon, apparently replacing “fire” and “brimstone” with “bench” and “healthy scratch.” I guess at this point he may need to have that be his pre-game speech, because the Flyers are just getting smoked in the first five minutes of games lately. It’s amazing that the most prolific scoring team in the league is so rarely scoring first.
From Swiss Cheese to Sharp Cheddar
Ilya Bryzgalov had a very good night in net, weathering the early storm and coming up with some big saves. These Isles can be dangerous on the attack, too, so the Flyers did need him to be sharp. Here’s the best of the bunch.
Still loads of work to be done on defense, but it’s encouraging to see the blueliners contributing on offense; Meszaros played a starring role in the win with a booming point shot leading to two Flyers goals.
Up Next: Caps
The Flyers get a day off today and a Saturday off from game play tomorrow before taking the ice for a Sunday night game in Washington.
|MJS on Video: All hell breaks loose a…|
|baxter097 on Stop blaming Claude Giroux for…|
|galasso2586 on Video: All hell breaks loose a…|
|t800m101 on Video: All hell breaks loose a…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages