Oct 8, 2012, 1:14 PM EST
As we covered on plenty of occasions, there are positives and negatives to locked out Flyers waiting out their exile in professional leagues overseas.
The plus: they stay relatively sharp. And the well-documented negative: the potential for injury.
News got out Sunday that forward Jake Voracek, who signed a four-year, $17 million contract extension in the offseason, became the first Flyer to go on the shelf while abroad.
Panotch initially reported that Voracek’s agent, former Flyer Petr Svoboda, said it was just a knee sprain. But then there was an update to the initial report that Voracek himself said it worse, and finally his club put out a statement that he’ll be out four weeks.
The gut-instinct was to go, “four weeks — oh no,” as if it impacted the Flyers, because it obviously happened to a Flyer. But the far more depressing reality is that no one expects the NHL solve its labor strife any time soon, certainly not soon enough to get guys back on the ice within the next month.
So there you have it. Jake Voracek will miss a month of hockey … for HC Lev Praha. And that month he misses with injury will be the same month every other locked out player will miss in the NHL, regardless of how and where they are spending their time, and whether or not they’re injured. Assuming there are no longer-term or nagging complications, it’s almost like the injury never happened. It means absolutely nothing.
While you’re not watching hockey, we suggest you read this detailed Q&A the Globe and Mail published with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman over the weekend. Even if you’re not a “Bettman-guy/girl” — and let’s be honest, there are few who are these days — it’s worth your time.
Follow The700Level on Facebook
|Marvin Monroe on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|somekat on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|t800m101 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages