Oct 28, 2011, 3:17 PM EST
Long before there was Mama McNabb, the self-proclaimed “America’s Favorite Sports Mom” (talk about delusional…), another athlete’s parents were part of the Philly faithful’s lexicon. Eric Lindros was famously represented by his parents, who were reportedly very meddlesome throughout their son’s career, straining the young center’s relations with the Flyers’ front office, and particularly then-GM Bobby Clarke.
One of the fascinating aspects of the Alumni Game that will take place before the Winter Classic is for the first time since Lindros was traded, he and Clarke will be reunited. And while their bitter feud played out for all to see, and there wasn’t much that was left unsaid, give both men credit as they both sound willing to let bygones be bygones. ESPN was able to get their thoughts.
“I hope so for his sake,” Clarke said of Lindros. “Because he left with so much bitterness and so much anger. And I guess I did, too. I was bitter and angry, too. But once he was gone, I moved on, I didn’t care after that. Let’s hope we’re all mature enough now, enough time has passed and everything has healed.”
As for Lindros:
Lindros goes on to say his representatives were simply looking out for his interests and safety, so it seems neither he or Clarke will actually admit they were wrong — not that it matters. What matters is having them both on the ice for this celebration of hockey history in Philadelphia, and that the two of them can put the entire incident behind them once and for all.
Lindros did have one more thing to say about the game coming up.
We’re pumped, too.
As a side note from the same story, it appears Wayne Gretzky will not be a part of the festivities.
>> Lindros, Clarke hope to move on [ESPN]
|t800m101 on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|G_E on GIF: Jason Kelce’s beard…|
|G_E on Photo Gallery and Tweets: Linc…|
|mickthedick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages