Apr 23, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The Flyers had nothing to play for short of potentially costing the Bruins a Northeast Division banner. Seemed like motivation enough.
In yet another “where was this all year?” effort, the Flyers handled the Bruins, 5-2, Tuesday night at Wells Fargo Center.
A 1-1 tie and a tight hockey game was broken up midway through the second period thanks to a beaut from Matt Read and a boot from Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara.
At the 11:24 mark of the second, Wayne Simmonds put a shot on net that bounced in the direction of Read, who then picked the puck out of midair to give the Flyers the 2-1 lead.
Just seven seconds later, at 11:24, rookie defenseman Oliver Lauridsen was credited with the goal of his NHL career when he harmlessly dumped the puck in the Bruins zone and Chara took care of the rest.
Prime Toyota Turning Point kind of material.
Playing against his fellow countryman and idol, Jake Voracek further stretched the Flyers in the third when he accepted a pass in the neutral zone, spun around, went in alone on Tuuka Rask, dropped his shoulder, and slid the puck between the goaltender’s legs. Voracek’s career-high 21st of the year gave the Flyers a 4-1 lead.
The Flyers’ fifth and the final of the night came off the stick of Simon Gagne, who showed he can still finish, burying a cross-ice feed from Claude Giroux. “Little Foppa.”
In net, Steve Mason stopped 39 of 41 shots sent his way and made a few acrobatic saves. He also kept his glove up, which is apparently allowed.
Two games left. There’s always
amnesty next year. [full highlights below]
|Matt S. on Eagles officially the hottest…|
|SadKumquat on Peter King: Eagles ‘the disapp…|
|JMRA on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|AJockStrapFeely on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages