Apr 23, 2013, 10:24 PM EDT
The Flyers had nothing to play for short of potentially costing the Bruins a Northeast Division banner. Seemed like motivation enough.
In yet another “where was this all year?” effort, the Flyers handled the Bruins, 5-2, Tuesday night at Wells Fargo Center.
A 1-1 tie and a tight hockey game was broken up midway through the second period thanks to a beaut from Matt Read and a boot from Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara.
At the 11:24 mark of the second, Wayne Simmonds put a shot on net that bounced in the direction of Read, who then picked the puck out of midair to give the Flyers the 2-1 lead.
Just seven seconds later, at 11:24, rookie defenseman Oliver Lauridsen was credited with the goal of his NHL career when he harmlessly dumped the puck in the Bruins zone and Chara took care of the rest.
Prime Toyota Turning Point kind of material.
Playing against his fellow countryman and idol, Jake Voracek further stretched the Flyers in the third when he accepted a pass in the neutral zone, spun around, went in alone on Tuuka Rask, dropped his shoulder, and slid the puck between the goaltender’s legs. Voracek’s career-high 21st of the year gave the Flyers a 4-1 lead.
The Flyers’ fifth and the final of the night came off the stick of Simon Gagne, who showed he can still finish, burying a cross-ice feed from Claude Giroux. “Little Foppa.”
In net, Steve Mason stopped 39 of 41 shots sent his way and made a few acrobatic saves. He also kept his glove up, which is apparently allowed.
Two games left. There’s always
amnesty next year. [full highlights below]
|Eng E on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|JJ on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|nahroots on Ryan Howard suddenly off to on…|
|Howie on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money