Jun 20, 2012, 3:47 PM EST
You’ll note that not a single Flyer is in the running for any of the hardware to be handed out at this evening’s NHL Awards ceremony in Las Vegas, despite the team having at least a couple players and a coach deserving of at least some recognition.
But, hey, there’s at least one Flyer who could walk away with something tonight.
Claude Giroux made it all the way through to the final round of the NHL 13 cover vote contest, and either he or Nashville goaltender Pekka Rinne will be named the winner this evening.
As cool as it is to potentially have a Flyer on the cover — he’d be only the second on an EA NHL game and the first since Eric Lindros in 1999 — I can’t be the only one surprised Pekka Rinne is still in this thing, right?
I mean the Peyton Hillis Madden cover sort of set a precedent for unlikely winners, but at least he was from Cleveland. You could imagine Browns fans getting behind something like that.
But Nashville? In a North American contest to see who is going to appear to on the front of a video game box, I’m still struggling to figure out how a Pred not named Weber found himself in the final two, but good on him for it.
While we’re on the subject, and since we’re still sort of slumping on that whole Carlos Ruiz thing, did any of you actually participate in this contest and/or vote for Giroux?
Either way, for those of you who longing for the days of hardcore virtual hockey on the PC, tell me this doesn’t bring back memories:
|dawkisgod on Video: If Chip Kelly calls a […|
|David Seasholtz on Looking back at Philadelphia p…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages