Dec 21, 2012, 3:58 AM EST
You might say they’re on the home stretch, except that
implies the end is near. In the case of the NHL lockout, there is most definitely
a finish line, but that doesn’t mean either side will cross it in time to save
The league announced on Thursday its decision to cancel
games through January 14; another announcement will claim the remainder of the
I mean it. This is the end of the road. There are no more
rounds of cancellations. If the puck doesn’t drop on or around the 15th,
the 2012-13 season is over before it ever began.
As dire as that all might sound though, imposing a true
deadline – even if unofficial – could be what finally pushes these negotiations
over the top.
People tend to have a way of getting things done when they
The players’ union claims the two sides are close. The league
contends they truly are not. It’s all semantics. If they’re going to reach a
deal, there is no other time – unless we’re really gonna flush a whole year. Even
now, while I won’t go so far as to guarantee there will be a season, it’s
really hard to believe there wouldn’t be one.
The alarm is buzzing, and there are no more minutes to spare
for the snooze button. Everybody seems to realize this, so it should be only a
matter of time now.
Or not. Whatever.
|Earl on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|biggirlcookiemonster on Michael Carter-Williams doesn…|
|red2gold on Even your phone thinks Nick Fo…|
|Davey u on Are the 2013 Philadelphia Eagl…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages