Dec 15, 2011, 10:44 PM EST
The mood among Flyers faithful was rather somber on Thursday night as word of Chris Pronger being out for the entire season hit Twitter and eventually the game’s telecast itself. Never easy to hear such bad news. The Flyers who were on the ice did their best to try and cheer the down orange and black fans by delivering a nice road victory.
The Flyers got on the board first when Goal Scorer Max Talbot got a wrister past Carey Price. Jake Voracek and Cooter got the helpers. Voracek has really capitalized on the additional ice time given to him lately and tonight was no different. It’s always fun to see a guy really work every play.
Montreal fought back all night and even things up at one apiece. The theme of the night on defense seemed to be a ton traffic in front of the net and David Day-Are-Nay was very patient on the goal, waiting until Bob was down on the ice before drilling the tying goal up high.
It only took 46 for Harry Z to get one back, while falling to the ice, he managed to find a way to put the puck on net and it found its way past Carey Price to put them up 2-1. A highlight reel goal to be sure.
Luis LeBlanc found a PK Subban rebound right in front of the net with plenty of room to slam it home for his first NHL goal. Not much Bob could do with that one.
Wayne Simmonds hanging around in front of the net with just about two minutes left in the second paid off off once again. With minimal space to work with, Simmonds was chopping away, which caused the puck to pop up into the air. He then gave it a little bump off his chest and it fell to Price’s open stick side before Simmonds slammed it home. It pushed Wayne’s goal-scoring streak to four games. He’s a force down low. At this point, every opponent knows it’s part of the game plan, and yet Wayne continues to have his way.
The Flyers caught a bit of a bad break to end the second period when the refs opted not to call a penalty on the Canadiens after Jaromir Jagr was upended on a potential scoring opportunity. Montreal immediately took it down the other end and the refs decided to give them a penalty on Braydon Coburn for crosschecking which led to the Canadiens third goal on a goofy deflection that popped over Bob’s head.
The Flyers were the only team to score in an entertaining third period, securing the very nice road victory.
After a shaky clear by Price with about 12 minutes to play, the Flyers got the turnover and worked the puck around pretty nicely, led by Jagr’s sweet patience, which eventually set up Big Mez for a huge one-timer to put the Flyers up 4-3 for good.
Bob was great for most of the night and especially so late in the third when Montreal was getting plenty of good looks with plenty of traffic in front. The refs certainly weren’t helping the Flyers at all in this one, so it’s extra nice to get their seventh straight win. They haven’t won seven straight since January of 2002, according to JJ on the telecast.
There’s a lot of crazy shit going on around the team right now, but they’re playing well, and no matter what else, the history books will show the simple fact that they went to Montreal and won tonight. That’s always enjoyable.
Potential Awesome HBO Moment Next Wednesday: Wayne Simmonds was yapping like crazy late in the third, with what looked like an “I’ll f%&$ing kill you!” aimed at some Canadien.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return