Jul 4, 2012, 12:44 PM EST
The Flyers didn’t win the Zach Parise and Ryan Suter sweepstakes, but you could say they didn’t lose either. Both players reportedly have agreed to identical 13-year contracts with the Minnesota Wild worth $98 million, ending a three-day old waiting game, and likely breaking up the free agency logjam.
Why exactly are the Flyers not losers in this? Hey, at least Parise and Suter aren’t winding up in Pittsburgh.
Of all the potential suitors for their services, Parise and Suter chose a franchise that will clash with the Orange and Black no more than twice per season, and only in a Stanley Cup Final if at all in the playoffs — should it ever comes to that, we doubt too many people would mind. Also, in losing Parise, the New Jersey Devils take a step back, and in failing to add either player, the Penguins don’t become significantly more dangerous themselves.
The other possible benefit to the Flyers not getting a deal done with one or both is it will not further strain the always-tight salary cap situation. We still would have taken either, but if there was any reason at all not to get involved, it was cold, hard cash.
So what’s next? Expect Paul Holmgren’s pursuit of Matt Carle to pick up, along with continued rumblings about a swap for Rick Nash or Bobby Ryan. By all accounts, the Flyers are determined to make a splash this offseason, and those are the names we’ve been hearing for a month. We only hope they hold off until tomorrow before there are any more major announcements, being it’s July 4 and all.
Congratulations are in order to the Wild, who have changed the landscape of the NHL in one fell swoop.
|Franchise on Marcus Vick: Nick Foles suppor…|
|connorgreg on Marcus Vick: Nick Foles suppor…|
|jpreshy on Watch Roy Halladay’s ret…|
|psudrozz on The 12 best photos from the Ea…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages