Mar 14, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Based on several of the Flyers’ recent performances, and with
their season hanging in the balance, there has been some hinting that head
coach Peter Laviolette’s job could be on the line. Not so it would seem – at
least that’s what Paul Holmgren is telling reporters.
The general manager met with the media on Thursday afternoon
following an awful 5-2 loss to the Devils. When pressed about Laviolette’s
status, Holmgren not only provided the obligatory vote of confidence, he shifted
the blame for the Flyers’ 12-15-1 record on to the players.
Will Holmgren fire Laviolette? “I haven’t even thought about it,” he replied.
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) March 14, 2013
#Flyers Homer “I don’t like the way we’re playing right now, but I don’t necessarily blame that on the coach.”
— Randy Miller (@RandyJMiller) March 14, 2013
Homer: “I think our team needs to compete better. I don’t think we can let the players off the hook here.” #Flyers
— Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) March 14, 2013
There you have it. That should end any and all speculation,
Well, not exactly. That the idea hasn’t even popped into Homer’s
mind sounds completely disingenuous – not to say he wouldn’t dismiss the notion
out of hand, but he is evaluating this team on a daily basis, right? And
regardless, it’s a decision that could very well come from above his head if
owner Ed Snider grows tired of losing.
Holmgren downplayed the possibility of a big trade as well, which has to make
you wonder how he expects to get this situation turned around.
“Nobody is really happy with the position we are in or the way we’ve
played,” Holmgren said. “Get better quickly. Hopefully, that starts
tomorrow. I’m not at that point, well, I’m not sure we’d ever make a big
trade. I think that’s just speculation.”
Of course, we hear lip service from general managers all the
time, and the Flyers could be saying and doing something very different next
week, so we’ll have to wait and see. For now anyway, it looks like Lavvy might be safe.
|BenE. on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|Franchise on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|2sentz on The 12 best photos from the Ea…|
|Captain_Awesome on Photos and Time Lapse: This is…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages