Nov 30, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
The Phantoms, Flyers, state and local officials staged the formal groundbreaking ceremony for Lehigh Valley’s new minor league hockey arena in Allentown on Thursday.
Of course, as The Morning Call points out in the first two graphs of its writeup:
In reality, ground was broken for the Lehigh Valley Phantoms’ new hockey arena months ago.
Many tons of earth have already been hauled away in clattering dump trucks, creating a muddy 30-foot-deep hole at Seventh and Hamilton streets from which Allentown’s $272 million arena complex will soon rise.
Still, nothing like a good photo op with some shovel that appear to resemble hockey sticks. I want one of these.
The article further states that 1,700 season tickets have already been sold for the 8,500-seat venue set to open for the 2014 season.
Both pictures above come the MCall, who we imagine we’ll be relying on heavily over the next couple years for all your minor league hockey architectural updates.
Check out their full write up, gallery and video of the ceremony here:
|Franchise on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|PurdueAlum or @cjray… on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|gov on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|JOn on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money