May 17, 2011, 12:28 AM EDT
When reports started to circulate on Friday confirming the rumors that the 2012 NHL Winter Classic would be played at Citizens Bank Park I couldn’t help but imagine the ways in which the Flyers could transform CBP. How could the two local franchises combine to make January 2, 2012 a uniquely Philadelphia event? I tossed a few ideas out there on the Twitter, and Matt P. suggested I post them on here and get your thoughts and suggestions. Check out my ideas after the jump.
Let me preface this by saying that the Winter Classic is an unbelievable opportunity to showcase Philadelphia and our rich sports history and traditions. Citizens Bank Park looks unbelievable on television for a ho-hum mid-July game against the Pirates. Imgaine how ridiculous it’s going to look when given the full NBC treatment. This is a showcase event. The Phillies and Flyers have a tremendous opportunity to combine to make this Winter Classic truly Philadelphian.
I suppose it bears mentioning that these ideas were prefaced by some tongue in cheek tweets regarding a couple of recurring Flyers themes. First, I wondered what entrance music the Flyers back-up goalie would use when he emerged from the CBP bullpen. Second, I felt some relief for the official NHL scorer who will finally be able to use the scoring shorthand E19 for all of the times Scott Hartnell falls to the ice for no apparent reason.
Ok, here are some of my ideas.
- Put the Phanatic on the zamboni. His ATV license has to be transferable to a zamboni, no?
- Change Ashburn Alley to Ashebee Alley. We’re talking about two legendary and beloved players from each franchise. This is a no brainer.
- Similarly, give me “Bernie’s BBQ” in place of “Bulls BBQ”. Two local legends who still spend lots of time around their former teams. I’ll even volunteer to write the copy for the radio spots promoting Bernie’s BBQ. I’ll simply lift the line from the hair replacement ads he used to do and go with “Great ‘Cue, Doc”.
- Another name change I’d love to see would be to change Harry the K’s Restaurant to Gene Hart’s. The iconic voices of each franchise. In my mind, when I think back to great moments in each team’s history I hear their voices narrating the action. Make this happen.
- Finally, @cranekicker (one of the funniest follows on Twitter) suggests that they ring the outfield bell after each Flyers goal. Done and done, right?
Ok, those are my suggestions. Thoughts? Additional ideas? Is it January 2nd yet?
|Franchise on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
|ochospantalones on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|That Guy 895 on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
|sumkat on As free agency opens, remember…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return