Aug 19, 2011, 12:14 PM EST
The Courier-Post reports that final details of the Winter Classic between the Flyers and the Rangers are still being ironed out and that local musical acts are being considered to perform before/during the game.
Luukko said the Flyers would be assisting the NHL in recommending musical acts for the Winter Classic pregame. Before the 2010 Winter Classic in Boston’s Fenway Park, the local band the Dropkick Murphys performed on a makeshift stage above home plate, followed by James Taylor crooning the Star Spangled Banner.
Boyz II Men, The Hooters, The Roots, Hall and Oates, Will Smith, Patti LaBelle and Pink are local musicians who might be considered as opening acts for the Classic.
Now, with all due respect to the Hooters, Patti LaBelle, and the guys in the sweater vests, the Roots are clearly the only option we can fully support as to excite a packed house in South Philly. We can, however, support Will Smith performing in a skit with the Phanatic. Mr. Jiggy With It seems like a perfect candidate to get tazed, or at least some popcorn tossed on him.
Aside from the Roots being a band that people still actually like, you could probably even make the argument they’re now the most mainstream by being the house band on Jimmy Fallon’s late night show. Plus, we know the Roots are actual Philly sports fans and have attended plenty of games at Citizens Bank Park.
Also of note in Chuck Gormley’s story, the Flyers are working out details to have more than just the Flyers play on the ice at CBP, including games with the Penn State men’s hockey team and also the Adirondack Phantoms. This could give way more people a chance to catch an outdoor hockey game in South Philly as well as give exposure to a new PSU hockey program.
You may also recall Rev’s post a few months back on other fun “wishlist” items for the Flyers playing a game in the Phillies ballpark, including notable items such as Ashbee Alley, a Phanatic driven zamboni, and ringing of the outfield bell after every goal.
Add on the Roots to wish list.
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Chutley on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mostel on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return