Jul 12, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
2011-12 was a career year for Scott Hartnell. Next he might be aiming to become a career Flyer.
With one season remaining under his current contract, Hartsy is said to be looking for an extension from the Flyers according to Tim Panaccio, who adds that a source indicated the feeling from the team is mutual. The front office hasn’t initiated talks just yet, but the climate seems conducive to getting a deal done.
While now typically would be the time to talk about a contract, Panotch believes the uncertain state of the CBA could hold things up. There may not be much progress to report until that’s settled.
Hartnell, 30, set new personal bests with 37 goals and 67 points last season while playing on the top line alongside Claude Giroux and Jaromir Jagr. He also became the club’s most dangerous weapon on the power play, finding the back of the net team-high 16 times, nearly half his total. He tallied three more scores and five helpers during the postseason.
In five seasons wearing the Orange and Black, Hartnell is averaging 25.8 goals and 52.6 assists. However, things haven’t always been so rosy since his arrival in a trade from Nashville. 09-10 was a notoriously awful year for Hartnell, scoring only 14 goals in 81 games before he came roaring back with eight in the playoffs.
Hartnell’s cap hit is $4.2 million from the six-year deal he signed when he came to Philly. Earlier this week, Broad Street Hockey took a look at what the future figure might look like, settling on “something in the $5M per year range.” He’s into his thirties now, which is always a concern, and there is some question as to whether he realistically can have another season like the previous year, although BSH believes he should remain effective on the power play.
Then again, you never know, the negotiations might be about more than money:
Would love to be in the office for Hartnell’s contract extension talks.”He wants TWO inflatable jumpy castles?!?!…..mother of God.”
— FlyersGoalScoredBy (@FlyGoalScoredBy) July 12, 2012
Even when Hartnell isn’t lighting up the scoreboard, he is always one of the most entertaining guys on the ice. Between his on-ice theatrics (who will ever forget him mocking Malkamania), the now-legendary #HartnellDown, and his willingness to mix it up with opposing players, we’ve had a lot of laughs and truly great moments with Hartnell. Damn the money, who doesn’t want to sign up for some more of that?
|Z on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|willh888 on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|yishmeister on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|red2gold on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return