Jun 19, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
Rob Zombie is known for his heavy metal music and horror movies, two genres of entertainment I can’t honestly say I’m a fan of, but the Grammy-winning artist is stepping out of the box to work on a new feature film depicting Philadelphia’s beloved Broad Street Bullies.
According to Mike Fleming of Deadline.com, Zombie acquired the rights to the club’s story, and he will write, direct, and produce this film based on the Flyers’ meteoric rise from NHL expansion franchise to Stanley Cup prominence during the 70s. Fleming adds Zombie has the full support of the team, so the amount of realism and in-depth detail should be top notch.
The movie is aptly titled Broad Street Bullies. No word yet on when production will begin, but Fleming points out Zombie’s current project, The Lord of Salem, is already in post-production.
My initial thoughts are this sounds like a whole lot of awesome. Zombie is a respected artist, and I suspect the translation to the big screen will have a bit more bite than your typical Disney-style sports movies — Invincible comes to mind. When you stop to think about it, the story of the Bullies was made for theaters.
A couple years back, HBO treated us to a documentary on the Bullies, and now this. Needless to say, we’ll be following the film’s progress closely all the way up to its premiere.
(Hat tip to our friend Dan Levy.)
>> Rob Zombie Targets Flyers For Feature [Deadline]
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Jim on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|red2gold on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|findingclues4u on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return