Jul 15, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
Ron Hextall enjoyed two stints as a goaltender for the Flyers spanning a grand total 11 of his 13 seasons in the NHL, then transitioned directly into the organization’s front office where he remained until 2006. Apparently that was far too long away from Philadelphia, as the team announced on Monday that Hexy is coming back for a third run with the Orange & Black.
The Flyers have tabbed Hextall for an Assistant GM position as well as Director of Hockey Operations position beginning on August 1. He departs the Los Angeles Kings, where he held the title of Assistant GM since 2006 and helped the organization win the Stanley Cup in 2012.
As of now Hextall would join Barry Hanrahan and John Paddock as fellow Assistant GMs according to the team website, provided another move is not on the way. It’s unclear what will happen to Chris Pryor, the club’s current Director of Hockey Ops. Lots of confusion over the exact details at the moment.
Either way it seems like a great move for the Flyers. There’s no denying success has followed Hexy as an executive, from his early days as a scout for the Flyers, later their Director of Pro Personnel, and then to LA obviously. Not surprisingly there are already some rumblings that he could eventually become the club’s next general manager. Great to have him back in the fold.
>> Bringing Hexy Back [Flyers.com]
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
|Scott B on What happens on April 4th,…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return