Oct 4, 2012, 2:44 PM EST
The puck was slated to drop in Philadelphia one week from today, but in what was essentially a foregone conclusion, the NHL has announced the inevitable: the 2012-13 season will not start on time.
In a brief press release, the league officially called for the cancellation of the first two weeks of the regular season on Thursday. Four Flyers tilts have been deleted, including the national TV opener versus the Bruins on October 11, as well as the first meeting with the Penguins on October 18. In all, 82 total games were lost.
The NHL made the distinction of cancelling the first two weeks, and not X-number of games, which Puck Daddy suggests leaves open the possibility for a full 82-game season still.
Of course, with the lockout going strong, dropping even more games is only right around the corner. Representatives from the league and players’ union have been meeting, but there has been little in the way of progress.
In other words, the Wells Fargo Center is going to be dark and empty for awhile.
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|db21 on Connor Barwin says Eagles used…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages