Sep 11, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
Here’s an already somewhat weird story getting weirder.
Yesterday there were reports that the Flyers had agreed to a three-year contract with Dan Cleary, only they couldn’t actually complete the deal because they are over the salary cap. The work-around was bringing the 15-year veteran in for a “tryout,” then once the season started and Chris Pronger was placed on long-term injured reserve, signing Cleary to the specified deal.
Well, one day after Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren jumped through all those hoops to secure a third-line winger, news came down that the deal is off on the count of some unknown snafu.
Then Homer told the Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi that Cleary was not promised a contract.
Meanwhile, CSN’s Tim Panaccio was reporting Cleary would no longer be in Philly for a tryout at all, but Panotch has since backtracked on that.
And per Pro Hockey Talk, TSN’s Aaron Ward says the long-time Red Wing has been meeting with Detroit’s GM and head coach.
So just what in the world is going on here? Homer is telling reporters he does expect Cleary at training camp when it opens on Thursday, so there’s that.
Initial speculation from PHT was the NHL came down on the Flyers’ little arrangement with Cleary. Leagues tend to become displeased when teams find ways to circumvent the salary cap, then flaunt it no less. Denying the existence of a handshake agreement is probably in the best interest of both sides.
But this story is going in so many different directions, it’s hard to figure out what’s actually happening. The only obvious aspect to this is Cleary may not be in Orange & Black when the puck drops in October after all. But maybe he will be. No one seems to know.
Oh, the Flyers.
|willh888 on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|Matt S. on Michael Carter-Williams is you…|
|FlyersFan on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|rw on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money