Sep 11, 2013, 4:48 PM EST
Here’s an already somewhat weird story getting weirder.
Yesterday there were reports that the Flyers had agreed to a three-year contract with Dan Cleary, only they couldn’t actually complete the deal because they are over the salary cap. The work-around was bringing the 15-year veteran in for a “tryout,” then once the season started and Chris Pronger was placed on long-term injured reserve, signing Cleary to the specified deal.
Well, one day after Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren jumped through all those hoops to secure a third-line winger, news came down that the deal is off on the count of some unknown snafu.
Then Homer told the Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi that Cleary was not promised a contract.
Meanwhile, CSN’s Tim Panaccio was reporting Cleary would no longer be in Philly for a tryout at all, but Panotch has since backtracked on that.
And per Pro Hockey Talk, TSN’s Aaron Ward says the long-time Red Wing has been meeting with Detroit’s GM and head coach.
So just what in the world is going on here? Homer is telling reporters he does expect Cleary at training camp when it opens on Thursday, so there’s that.
Initial speculation from PHT was the NHL came down on the Flyers’ little arrangement with Cleary. Leagues tend to become displeased when teams find ways to circumvent the salary cap, then flaunt it no less. Denying the existence of a handshake agreement is probably in the best interest of both sides.
But this story is going in so many different directions, it’s hard to figure out what’s actually happening. The only obvious aspect to this is Cleary may not be in Orange & Black when the puck drops in October after all. But maybe he will be. No one seems to know.
Oh, the Flyers.
|Joseph on Eagles officially the hottest…|
|Dominic on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|SteveBrown on Photo Gallery and Tweets: Linc…|
|Joseph on LeSean McCoy pulls Eagles slei…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages