Jun 11, 2012, 10:49 PM EDT
Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, and Simon Gagne get to hoist the Stanley Cup as players and Ron Hextall will get to drink from it as an Assistant General Manager. Former coach John Stevens and Justin Williams did as well, and a former Flyers front office man, Dean Lombardi, was the GM who put it all together. The L.A. Kings are Stanley Cup Champions.
Many local fans have picked up some enjoyment of LA Kings hockey this postseason (others, not so much), and the team’s dressing of Gagne during the Finals says a lot. So too did his being the third player to be handed the Cup (watch below as he almost drops it). Richards and Carter came later, after Williams. Richie screamed to the rafters, then put his bearded kiss on it, and handed it to his best friend.
Carter’s wrister was on display tonight in the Kings 6-1 victory over the New Jersey Devils. He finished with two goals in the Cup clincher. Richards added a couple of helpers, including the sweetest dish of his career, when he handed his best friend the Stanley Cup.
Congrats to the whole contingent of former Flyers who get their name etched into history.
The NHL’s on-ice Stanley Cup celebration is always a great moment. Every single player gets to pump that thing skyward, its weight apparent in both a literal and figurative sense.
Last night, seven former members of the Philadelphia Flyers organization got to do it. Here are Richards and Carter afterward, with Richie giving credit to his former club for helping him get there. A classy response by our former Captain to a well-worded question.
Me? I’m happy for them. What was your reaction to seeing the orange and black alums earn the opportunity to hoist the Cup?
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return