Jun 11, 2012, 10:49 PM EST
Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, and Simon Gagne get to hoist the Stanley Cup as players and Ron Hextall will get to drink from it as an Assistant General Manager. Former coach John Stevens and Justin Williams did as well, and a former Flyers front office man, Dean Lombardi, was the GM who put it all together. The L.A. Kings are Stanley Cup Champions.
Many local fans have picked up some enjoyment of LA Kings hockey this postseason (others, not so much), and the team’s dressing of Gagne during the Finals says a lot. So too did his being the third player to be handed the Cup (watch below as he almost drops it). Richards and Carter came later, after Williams. Richie screamed to the rafters, then put his bearded kiss on it, and handed it to his best friend.
Carter’s wrister was on display tonight in the Kings 6-1 victory over the New Jersey Devils. He finished with two goals in the Cup clincher. Richards added a couple of helpers, including the sweetest dish of his career, when he handed his best friend the Stanley Cup.
Congrats to the whole contingent of former Flyers who get their name etched into history.
The NHL’s on-ice Stanley Cup celebration is always a great moment. Every single player gets to pump that thing skyward, its weight apparent in both a literal and figurative sense.
Last night, seven former members of the Philadelphia Flyers organization got to do it. Here are Richards and Carter afterward, with Richie giving credit to his former club for helping him get there. A classy response by our former Captain to a well-worded question.
Me? I’m happy for them. What was your reaction to seeing the orange and black alums earn the opportunity to hoist the Cup?
|bryan on The ‘Group of Death…|
|Steve on Cowboys lose, Eagles take over…|
|CantStanzaYa on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|Matt S. on Cowboys lose, Eagles take over…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages