Apr 9, 2013, 11:59 AM EDT
One game after he appeared in relief of Ilya Bryzgalov, the Flyers announced late Tuesday morning that Steve Mason will be in net tonight when his new team takes on the Islanders at 7 p.m.
The game is of the utmost importance to the team’s playoff hopes, as the Flyers currently trail the eighth-place Isles by five points with 10 games to play (Fly guys have a game in-hand).
Mason’s start will break a 22-game consecutive start streak for Bryzgalov, who has played in 36 of 38 games this season. Problem is that Bryzgalov has a 2.88 GAA and a disastrous .896 save percentage.
The news comes one day after Mason agreed to a one-year, $1.5 million deal for next season.
And now we go inside the mind of John Boruk…
Why would I fully commit the final 10 games of the season to a goaltender that currently ranks 39th in the NHL in goals against and 40th in save percentage? What am I missing here? I feel as if I’m embarking on a two-week trek across the Sahara only to have my guide ask if I want to ride on a one-hump camel or one with two humps.
…because everybody loves camels.
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money