Dec 12, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
We often don’t think about all the people who are hit hard by the NHL lockout who don’t play the sport or own a team. I mean, what about the waitresses at Xfinity Live? Their tips are likely decimated on nights when there should have been a Flyers game scheduled this season.
Pennsylvania Senator Bob Casey is trying to look out for the little man. He wrote a letter to the U.S. Small Business Administration to alert them to the economic impact of all the small businesses in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh affected by the lockout.
According to one estimate, the city of Philadelphia could be losing a million bucks per game lost. An excerpt from the letter, emphasis ours:
Recently, the tourism bureau VisitPittsburgh completed a study that found each Penguins home game generates approximately $2.1 million worth of revenue. Nearly half of this revenue goes to small businesses that are visited by fans before and after games. If the entire NHL season is cancelled, the city and its small businesses can expect to bear a loss of over $86 million in revenue, not including revenue from potential home playoff games. Select Greater Philadelphia, an economic marketing organization estimates that Philadelphia is losing approximately $1 million in revenue for every Flyers home game not played.
Gary Bettman is clearly not thinking of the Xfinity Live waitresses.
|Fly guy on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|Chief on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|Scott B on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|Jay D on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money