Dec 12, 2012, 3:09 PM EST
We often don’t think about all the people who are hit hard by the NHL lockout who don’t play the sport or own a team. I mean, what about the waitresses at Xfinity Live? Their tips are likely decimated on nights when there should have been a Flyers game scheduled this season.
Pennsylvania Senator Bob Casey is trying to look out for the little man. He wrote a letter to the U.S. Small Business Administration to alert them to the economic impact of all the small businesses in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh affected by the lockout.
According to one estimate, the city of Philadelphia could be losing a million bucks per game lost. An excerpt from the letter, emphasis ours:
Recently, the tourism bureau VisitPittsburgh completed a study that found each Penguins home game generates approximately $2.1 million worth of revenue. Nearly half of this revenue goes to small businesses that are visited by fans before and after games. If the entire NHL season is cancelled, the city and its small businesses can expect to bear a loss of over $86 million in revenue, not including revenue from potential home playoff games. Select Greater Philadelphia, an economic marketing organization estimates that Philadelphia is losing approximately $1 million in revenue for every Flyers home game not played.
Gary Bettman is clearly not thinking of the Xfinity Live waitresses.
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return