Dec 12, 2012, 3:09 PM EST
We often don’t think about all the people who are hit hard by the NHL lockout who don’t play the sport or own a team. I mean, what about the waitresses at Xfinity Live? Their tips are likely decimated on nights when there should have been a Flyers game scheduled this season.
Pennsylvania Senator Bob Casey is trying to look out for the little man. He wrote a letter to the U.S. Small Business Administration to alert them to the economic impact of all the small businesses in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh affected by the lockout.
According to one estimate, the city of Philadelphia could be losing a million bucks per game lost. An excerpt from the letter, emphasis ours:
Recently, the tourism bureau VisitPittsburgh completed a study that found each Penguins home game generates approximately $2.1 million worth of revenue. Nearly half of this revenue goes to small businesses that are visited by fans before and after games. If the entire NHL season is cancelled, the city and its small businesses can expect to bear a loss of over $86 million in revenue, not including revenue from potential home playoff games. Select Greater Philadelphia, an economic marketing organization estimates that Philadelphia is losing approximately $1 million in revenue for every Flyers home game not played.
Gary Bettman is clearly not thinking of the Xfinity Live waitresses.
|db21 on Connor Barwin says Eagles used…|
|2sentz on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|thisguy on Philly WrestleMania update: no…|
|Chris on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages