Apr 24, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
He’ll likely always be remembered as a Penguin, but Jaromir Jagr has really gotten around. Just ask these guys.
We first addressed the Traveling Jagrs when they showed up in Calgary in mid-February, but the whole salute* of them showed up at Wells Fargo Center last night to cheer on their namesake and christen a new member.
NHL.com’s Adam Kimmelman caught up with them to ask pressing questions.
Tyler, also known as Ranger Jag, originated the Jagr look a few years ago in Las Vegas.
“We were looking for a group costume and a couple of us had Jagr
jerseys,” he told NHL.com. “We’re all Jagr fans and said, ‘let’s go
dressed as Jagr.’ That was our thought process.”
Once Jagr signed with the Stars last summer, the group was apparently ecstatic, as it marked the first time in his Hall of Fame career he’d be playing in the Western Conference.
Of course, it wasn’t a long stay, and Jagr was dealt to the Bruins at the trade deadline. But that just gave them an excuse to travel to Philly and hand out an additional mullet.
As you can see in the video below, and in this picture, there’s a Jagr for all seasons, from Penguin Jags to Capital Jags to Ranger Jags to Czech Republic Jags to Flyer Jags to Star Jags to now Boston Jags.
Jagr apparently noticed the group in pregame warmups in Calgary, but they have never actually talked to him.
“We haven’t had a chance to meet him, but we will,” Tyler said. “We
don’t want to bug him; he’s a Hall of Famer. But he’ll talk to us soon.
We need him to score a goal for us today.”
He didn’t, but he did register an assist on Boston’s first goal of the game. Still, solid, quiet confidence out of those guys.
How do you become a Jagr anyway?
“It was a long process,” Shane [Boston Jags] told NHL.com. “All kind of interviews,
had to do a shootout at one point. It’s the proudest moment of my
And the creedo?
“We don’t cheer for Boston, nor do we cheer for Philadelphia. We cheer for Jagr. In Jagr we trust.”
Somebody call Jagermeister and get these guys sponsored.
*salute (n.): an unofficial, partially crowd-sourced name for a group of Jagrs
|Marvin Monroe on Video: Claude Giroux’s g…|
|kammergame on Report: Glen Macnow done on WI…|
|Eagles Nation on If Bill Conlin Is Suspended, H…|
|Marvin Monroe on Report: Glen Macnow done on WI…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Video: Claude Giroux with the goal of the year in crazy Flyers' comeback win over Blue Jackets
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola