Oct 1, 2011, 2:54 PM EDT
Ah, the old, “We’re not bad. No, really,” defense.
By any conventional measure, the San Francisco 49ers’ offensive line has struggled this season. Pro Bowl running back Frank Gore can’t find a hole, and a quarterback who is only trusted to throw the ball small distances can’t stand upright long enough to dump it into the flat.
None of that is stopping left tackle Joe Staley from speaking out against the criticism. The former first round pick wants you to know the problem is not just with him or his unit.
It reminds us a little bit of center Mike McGlynn making a similar assertion about the Birds’ line right around this time last year, only a little less strongly worded. Of course, we all remember how that wound up — the right side of line crumbled, and became one of the primary contributing factors to the total pass protection breakdown toward season’s end.
No matter what Smiley wants to say about it, the 49er line has not been effective so far this year. Their backs are averaging 2.5 yards per carry, second worst in the NFL, and Alex Smith has been sacked 11 times, tied for the fourth most.
This could be a big day for Jim Washburn’s wide nine.
>> Joe Staley on Niners offensive line: ‘We don’t suck’ [SFGate.com (via PFT)]
|wholesale Senior Bow… on ‘Who’s That Guy?…|
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money