Dec 14, 2011, 10:48 AM EDT
It’s the biggest crutch of many a sports writer across the country to perpetuate their narrative that Philadelphia sports fans are the worst humans ever created. Yet it happened well over 40 years ago and very few people actually know the real story or background.
Today, Ray Didinger treats us to a first-hand account from the KYW newsman who actually reported the story way back in 1968. You can go read the whole account if you’d like, but here’s my favorite part:
For the most part, the incident otherwise was viewed as a non-story.
What I want to know is where is this video tape he says existed of the incident?
The only other account of the incident I’ve ever read that appears to be worthwhile is in Glen Macnow and Anthony Gargano’s “The Great Philadelphia Fan Book.” [Google Books link to tale] They play up the shoddiness of the makeshift Santa and also point out how drunk he may or may not have been.
The moral of the story? Philadelphians threw snowballs at Santa once in 1968. That was over 40 years ago. But we’d still probably do it again if it snowed this coming Sunday.
After all, Andy Reid probably put Santa in that position.
|Yea your a smacked a… on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|The Evster on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Marianne on Cole Hamels could miss all of…|
|teguhp63 on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return