Sep 6, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT
Truth told, it probably won’t happen–people will still remember the gaffe primarily for DeSean because he did it first and he did it twice and so on. Still, I’d say this one was way worse–at least you had to watch the D-Jax highlight a couple times to make sure he really got rid of the ball before he crossed the goal line. Trevathan isn’t even at the one-yard line when he starts to let go of the ball.
What’s more, the loose ball ended up going out of the end zone for the Broncos, resulting in a touchback and a loss of possession, whereas with DeSean’s blunder, the Eagles at least still ended up scoring a TD on the drive, once all the replay and such had settled.
On the other hand, at least with Trevathan, he was a defender to begin with, and therefore shouldn’t be used to scoring touchdowns or have a real sense for the end zone like a wide receiver. And before Trevathan’s not-TD, the Broncos were already up by 25 points in the fourth quarter, though the turnover led to an 80-yard Ravens march that made the game a whole lot more interesting than it should have been. (The Broncos still won 49-27).
Anyway, now that the naming honors for jettisoning the football prematurely on a touchdown celebration have been bequeathed to Trevathan, “Pulling a DeSean Jackson” can now refer to returning a punt 65 yards for a game-winning touchdown against the Giants. That’s a much nicer thing to be known for, isn’t it?
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money