Sep 18, 2013, 12:57 PM EDT
Did you hear? The Kansas City Chiefs and their new head coach Andy Reid are playing in Philadelphia tomorrow night and the game will be televised for a national audience. Some of you may remember that guy. Liked mesh shorts and Hawaiian shirts, took the Eagles to a Super Bowl, liked fat jokes.
Plenty has/will be written about Big Red’s return to the city he spent 14 years as the head ball coach, but only Ashley Fox’s piece is currently plastered on the front of ESPN.com.
The first bit that stuck out to me was a pretty great quote from Reid’s longtime trainer, Rick Burkholder, who followed Andy to Kansas City, about the differences between Philly and that steak town in the midwest:
“I don’t know how he lasted as long as he did there. The pressure’s so great in that city. It just wears you down. Ten [wins] is not good enough. If he wins 10 games for 10 years in this city they’ll put a statue of him outside of Arrowhead. He won 10 games for 10 years in Philly basically and still in the end it wasn’t enough.”
I’d take that as a compliment to Philly.
The other bit that was news to me, was where Andy Reid has apparently asked the other former Eagles in attendance to come out of the tunnel with him on Thursday night.
On game day, Reid will have to keep his assistants calm. As for himself, Reid said he asked McNabb, who will have his jersey number retired at halftime, to walk onto the field with him, as well as the other former Eagles who will be in attendance.
“Donovan and all those guys, they were giving me the business about it,” Reid said. “I told them they all have to walk out of the tunnel with me and see where the loyalty stands.”
The loyalties stand with those who wear green, obviously.
I suppose there’s a chance he’s joking? Always tough to tell with Big Red’s dry humor. It didn’t really read that way to me though.
It’s a curious move asking one of the more divisive guys in franchise history to join you on your return to Philadelphia, but Andy always put his players first.
I’ll be in the stands tomorrow night and I’ll most certainly give him the Philly welcome he speaks of. An ovation out of respect for the hard work of the past decade and half before the game begins and plenty of boos once the clock starts ticking.
>>Andy Reid plays it cool for reunion [ESPN]
|greg on Playoff hockey returns to the…|
|chester on Watch Cliff Lee, who is awesom…|
|chester on It doesn’t matter what w…|
|Fly guy on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money