Aug 31, 2012, 1:13 PM EST
Jeffrey Lurie delivered his annual State of the Eagles address before Thursday’s preseason game, and while the CEO didn’t have much of interest to say, the media was quick to hone in on the ultimatum of sorts he imposed on Andy Reid. Let’s see if we can deliver this is the simplest of terms using Lurie’s own words.
He doesn’t have a level or anything like that, but no, an 8-8 season would not be enough to save Reid’s job, though the owner is not going to make blanket statements, so if two-thirds of the team is not playing there’s always exceptions, yet just to reiterate, 8-8 was really an unacceptable outcome.
Make of that what you will.
Reid’s job is obviously on the line. He has two years remaining on his contract, and one thing Lurie did make perfectly clear was there will not be an extension this season. It’s highly unusual for a head coach to go into a season with that lame duck status, so by the end of 2012 we should have some indication as to what his chances are to return for a 15th year.
It’s also safe to say Lurie hasn’t made up his mind what he will do yet. 8-8 and out of the playoffs or worse with a healthy squad, and it’s an easy decision. What if it’s 8-8 with Nick Foles? What if it’s 8-8 with a deep postseason run? What if it’s 16-0 and bounced from the tournament posthaste?
A little difficult to determine precisely what gets a head coach fired in August, no? Well, maybe not for some of you…
Lurie didn’t make any sort of decision yesterday, but he seemed to wrestle with the idea of moving on at the conclusion of last year, so it’s certainly possible this will be Reid’s last go-round with the Birds. Feels a little strange to be trying to nail down what needs to happen right now though, when the season is new and full of promise. As Reid responded, and we’re paraphrasing (I think), that other stuff all takes care of itself.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return