Jan 30, 2012, 3:52 PM EST
The “search” is over. In the end, the Eagles did in fact make a hire, pegging former Dolphins assistant and interim head coach Todd Bowles to coach their defensive backs. On the other hand, Andy Reid chose to retain Juan Castillo as defensive coordinator, and according to Reuben Frank, never even considered a replacement.
But enough about that. The addition of Bowles is certainly welcome. A product of Temple University, Bowles played safety in the NFL for eight seasons, seven of those with the Washington Redskins. He spent the the last seven years in Miami as the secondary coach, and went 2-1 in December after replacing Tony Sparano as the club’s head coach.
In a sense, getting Bowles to coach the secondary was a steal. Bowles has been considered for several head jobs, and at the very least, a coordinator position should be right around the corner. In fact, his name was mentioned among the potential candidates to replace Castillo.
As for what kind of impact Bowles will have, that remains to be seen, but there is plenty of room for improvement back there. Nnamdi Asomugha struggled to adopt Castillo’s concepts, and the safeties haven’t developed as quickly as we all would like.
Whatever he does though, it appears it will have to fit in a Juan Castillo scheme. As it turns out, we’ll find out next season whether that’s for better or worse.
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return