Aug 29, 2011, 8:28 PM EST
Per a tweet from Andrew Brandt of the National Football Post, Michael Vick has agreed to a six year $100 million extension with the Eagles. CSN’s Reuben Frank confirms the report and breaks down the average yearly value as follows:
Confirming the Vick deal. With $16.7m average base salary, he’s #2 among quarterbacks, behind only Brady ($18.01m) and ahead of Eli ($16.3m)
Peyton Manning, who recently agreed to a new deal with the Colts, will also earn more than Vick. Regardless, Vick’s deal will likely make him the third highest paid player in the NFL – behind only Brady and Peyton.
In and of itself the news of the extension is not surprising. Vick was outrageously good after taking over for the concussed Kevin Kolb. Not that there was any doubt, but by trading Kolb to the Arizona Cardinals the Eagles removed any doubt as to the level of their commitment to Vick.
The contract extension caps an incredible comeback for Vick, who served over a year in federal prison on felony dogfighting charges. By all accounts he’s emerged a changed man.
Jeffrey Lurie certainly believes that’s the case as he’s betting $100 million, reportedly $40 million of which is guaranteed, that Vick is prepared to be the face of the franchise.
Everything about Vick’s time here in Philly has been stunning. The announcement of his signing with the Eagles back in 2009 was stunning. His play in place of the injured Kolb was stunning. Andy Reid’s decision to go with Vick over Kolb, which was a complete shift in the direction of the organization, was stunning. And now, the money involved in this deal is stunning.
We’ll have more on this deal as additional details emerge.
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Chutley on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return