Oct 3, 2013, 4:27 PM EST
Chip was his typical snarky self at Thursday’s press conference. When somebody mentioned Philadelphia could move into first place in the NFC East with a win over the Giants and a Cowboys’ loss to Denver, Kelly joked that he already contacted the league office about the trophy presentation. Per Reuben Frank:
“I talked to our team about that on Tuesday,” Kelly said. “I had some people tell me that if Dallas loses this weekend and we win, we’re in first place.
“I was fired up. I called the league office. I wanted to find out when we get the trophy and when the trophy presentation would be.”
Kelly got a laugh from the media when he told this story at his daily press briefing before practice Thursday.
“And I got the same response [from the team],” he said. “They started laughing. Because it doesn’t matter if you’re in first place the first week of October, what matters is are you in first place after Dec. 29.
The fun didn’t stop there. While fielding a question about the Giants signing Dallas Reynolds, a backup center who spent the summer in Eagles training camp, Chip was distracted by LeSean McCoy talking loudly off to the side. More hilarity ensues when coach starts yelling for Shady to pipe down.
Personally, I think it can only be considered a good thing if Chip and the rest of his squad are still loose after losing three straight. Last Sunday in Denver was especially demoralizing, and amid speculation Kelly could be a candidate for the USC job, it would quickly become a story if there was any evidence at all that the NFL grind was taking its toll.
Speaking of that USC job, Kelly vehemently denied any interest in the position.
How long it will take Chip’s humor to wear thin in Philadelphia probably depends on what fans see from this team over the next few weeks. If the Eagles get their doors blown off by a winless Giants team in New York this Sunday, you can bet the mood on talk radio and internet forums will take on a much darker tone.
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return