Nov 10, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
“How the heck is it legal to have a giant club for a hand and play in an NFL game?!?” is probably what you were wondering when you saw the covering Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews has on his hand today as they take on the Philadelphia Eagles.
Matthews is playing in his first game back from suffering a broken thumb in week five and that bowling ball looking thing on his hand is meant as protection.
According to Fox Sports’ officiating guru, Mike Pereira, it’s legal because there’s some soft stuff around it.
Clay Matthews playing with a cast. Rules say he can as long as “it is covered by minimum 3/8″ foam rubber or similar soft material.
— Mike Pereira (@MikePereira) November 10, 2013
Oh, cool. I’d like to hear what LeSean McCoy or DeSean Jackson have to say about getting clubbed with that thing.
Earlier in the week Matthews talked to Fox Sports Wisconsin about playing with a cast and it not being very fun.
“I’ve just got to get used to playing a little more with one hand and obviously being comfortable with throwing it in there,” Matthews said.
However, last season, Matthews watched as fellow outside linebacker Nick Perry tried to play with a cast on his injured left wrist.
“(Perry) says ‘It sucks,’ so that’s probably the only similarity, and I would agree with that,” Matthews said. “So, I don’t know, I mean, it does suck, so I would echo that message, but I’ll do the best I can with it.”
The Eagles lead 10-3 at halftime of the ugly, ugly football game.
Some other notable tweets:
Does Clay Matthews hand morph into a gun like Mega Man?
— Estebomb (@Estebomb) November 10, 2013
The Internet provideth … Clay Matthews’ right hand pic.twitter.com/7G9mqU2h0f
— Eric Kay (@ekaycbs) November 10, 2013
Just give Clay Matthews two hammer-hand made of tape, forever, and fulfill my Mutant League Football fantasies at last.
— Spencer Hall (@edsbs) November 10, 2013
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return