Nov 10, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
“How the heck is it legal to have a giant club for a hand and play in an NFL game?!?” is probably what you were wondering when you saw the covering Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews has on his hand today as they take on the Philadelphia Eagles.
Matthews is playing in his first game back from suffering a broken thumb in week five and that bowling ball looking thing on his hand is meant as protection.
According to Fox Sports’ officiating guru, Mike Pereira, it’s legal because there’s some soft stuff around it.
Clay Matthews playing with a cast. Rules say he can as long as “it is covered by minimum 3/8″ foam rubber or similar soft material.
— Mike Pereira (@MikePereira) November 10, 2013
Oh, cool. I’d like to hear what LeSean McCoy or DeSean Jackson have to say about getting clubbed with that thing.
Earlier in the week Matthews talked to Fox Sports Wisconsin about playing with a cast and it not being very fun.
“I’ve just got to get used to playing a little more with one hand and obviously being comfortable with throwing it in there,” Matthews said.
However, last season, Matthews watched as fellow outside linebacker Nick Perry tried to play with a cast on his injured left wrist.
“(Perry) says ‘It sucks,’ so that’s probably the only similarity, and I would agree with that,” Matthews said. “So, I don’t know, I mean, it does suck, so I would echo that message, but I’ll do the best I can with it.”
The Eagles lead 10-3 at halftime of the ugly, ugly football game.
Some other notable tweets:
Does Clay Matthews hand morph into a gun like Mega Man?
— Estebomb (@Estebomb) November 10, 2013
The Internet provideth … Clay Matthews’ right hand pic.twitter.com/7G9mqU2h0f
— Eric Kay (@ekaycbs) November 10, 2013
Just give Clay Matthews two hammer-hand made of tape, forever, and fulfill my Mutant League Football fantasies at last.
— Spencer Hall (@edsbs) November 10, 2013
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money