Aug 5, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
David Akers was the kind of guy Philadelphia sports fans could get behind. It’s not often you see a fan purchase the jersey of a place kicker, but Akers’ No. 2 jerseys were a staple of Veterans Stadium and later Lincoln Financial Field throughout his 12-year career in Philly.
Akers has moved on from the Eagles by signing a nice contract with the San Francisco 49ers, but he hasn’t forgotten the support our city gave him over the years.
He’s now thanked them by purchasing a billboard in Philadelphia. He tweeted out a link to the image earlier today.
|eaglegreen on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return