Aug 5, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
David Akers was the kind of guy Philadelphia sports fans could get behind. It’s not often you see a fan purchase the jersey of a place kicker, but Akers’ No. 2 jerseys were a staple of Veterans Stadium and later Lincoln Financial Field throughout his 12-year career in Philly.
Akers has moved on from the Eagles by signing a nice contract with the San Francisco 49ers, but he hasn’t forgotten the support our city gave him over the years.
He’s now thanked them by purchasing a billboard in Philadelphia. He tweeted out a link to the image earlier today.
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money