Jul 25, 2013, 11:41 AM EDT
The latest in Donovan McNabb’s media rounds appears in the September issue of Philadelphia Magazine and was made available to read online this morning.
It’s another wide-ranging Q&A that goes from being booed on draft day to not puking in the Super Bowl to his relationship with Terrell Owens and even touches on how fans will react when he’s welcomed back to town in September.
But the nugget I found most fun was when he talked about the time he broke his fibula and stayed in the game to put together one of the more legendary performances of his career. Somehow, amazingly, he finds a way to blame His Airness, Michael Jordan.
From Philly Mag:
By 2000 and 2001 you were an elite quarterback—big numbers, dramatic comeback victories. Then you showed guts in 2002 against Arizona when you played with a broken fibula. What do you remember from that game?
Oh, man. I was with Brand Jordan. They didn’t send my rain-type shoes on time, so I went from Jordans back to Nike. I was slipping out there. I scrambled left, tried to give two guys a move, buy some time. I remember getting grabbed from behind. They checked my ankle on the sideline, taped it. We rallied, came back, great game. We go back in the locker room and they x-ray it. Bam: “You broke your ankle.”
“After the game, I went to the [Washington] Wizards game and said to Mike [Jordan], “Where were my shoes? I broke my ankle, man.”
I’ll give McNabb credit for his telling of the “air guitar” story though, when he says Leonard Weaver was on the drums and DeSean Jackson was rapping. “It was like a band. We were having a good time,” he said. I like that. I also enjoyed how he jokes about maybe bringing the air guitar back on September 19th when the team honors him at the Linc. At least he has some sense of humor left.
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money