Oct 8, 2012, 2:15 AM EDT
You gotta hand it to Kurt Coleman, there’s seldom a dull moment in the Eagles’ secondary with the third-year safety. Number 42 has already been in on some of the most memorable plays of this short season — good and bad — but it’s equipment issues he’s quickly becoming famous for.
First he had his helmet trucked off by Cleveland’s Trent Richardson in Week 1. On Sunday, Coleman took out his aggressions on Antonio Brown’s shoe.
Late in the second quarter, the Steelers were driving as the clock worked against them. On 3rd and 4 from inside Birds territory, Ben Roethlisbeger connected with Brown, who had shaken Nnamdi Asomugha on a quick inside move. Coleman tracked down the ball carrier after a gain of 18, hauling him to the turf with a shoestring tackle — quite literally.
So much so that when Coleman stood up, he was still in possession of Brown’s shoe. Rather than hand it back to the opponent or simply drop it though, Coleman chucked that hunk of leather to the sideline. DN’s Les Bowen asked him about it after the game.
“I didn’t want it,” Coleman said, when asked to explain. “I’m not going
to hold onto it and hand it to him. He’s going to have to go get it.”
In the grand scheme, it meant nothing. Brown’s Pittsburgh teammates wound up racing up to the line of scrimmage to spike the ball, and eventually settled for three. However, had they been trying to run a play there, the offense essentially would have been without the receiver. Under any other set of circumstances, Brown would have been forced to come off for at least a play.
And besides being an example of his win-at-all-costs mentality, it was also pretty funny. Unfortunately Coleman couldn’t come up with a game-winning interception on Pittsburgh’s final drive as he did the day he was nearly decapitated in Cleveland.
Hat tip Larry Brown Sports for the video find.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money