Apr 30, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
It was one heck of a weekend for new Eagle Vinny Curry. He was selected in the second round of the NFL draft by the team he was a huge fan of as a kid growing up in nearby Neptune, New Jersey. Not only that, but he had the opportunity to be at the NovaCare Complex on Saturday as the team brought back some of the best players of the last few decades in celebration of Brian Dawkins getting his No. 20 Eagles jersey retired.
Talk about one hell of a “welcome to the family.”
Sure, getting the best football player to add to your team is priority No. 1, but it’s also awesome from a fan’s point of view when the player drafted appears to be a great guy with a passion for the game and in Vinny’s case, a tremendous passion for the Philadelphia Eagles. He even said he didn’t want to let the NFL Network cameras into his home because he had too much Eagles’ memorabilia on the walls. He didn’t want to have to take it down just yet.
From Reuben Frank’s story on Curry from over the weekend which you should really just go read in its entirety.
said. “But growing up an Eagle fan, being blessed with the opportunity
of seeing Brian Dawkins retire and give a speech here, this has got to
be the best day of my life.”
Not only is it a fantastic story of a kid’s dream coming true, but many experts absolutely loved the pick for the Birds. Peter King called it the best selection in the draft on the defensive side of the ball.
The Eagles took a page from the Giants and improved their pass-rush
with good depth in the front seven in this draft. Curry should be a
25-snap rotational rusher.
As if all of that didn’t make for a wild enough weekend, there’s this chill-inducing nugget about the quarterback of the Eagles pulling him aside on Saturday:
“He told me, ‘You’re not an Eagles fan anymore,’” Curry said. ‘“You’re a teammate.’”
Maybe now he can finally give us a tour of his home now. And add some more hardware to that Eagles shrine in a couple of years.
Mike Vick had some words of encouragement for him as well:
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return