Nov 20, 2011, 5:38 PM EDT
This season may have come off the rails, but these games definitely matter. There are seven weeks left to evaluate this team — who’s part of the problem, and who’s gonna be part of the solution? Also, the results will impact April’s draft position, will they not? And who knows, the Eagles could win out and sneak into the playoffs, right?
Okay, probably not. We’ve put that fairy tale to bed for now, but regardless, Philadelphia can cling to a sliver of hope with a W tonight. Not feeling that though? When it comes down to it, there is still one universally great reason to root on the Birds: they have the chance to take down those hated New York Giants in their building, in front of a national TV audience.
The Giants are in the thick of a brutal six-game stretch that includes four first-place opponents, and two division rivals. Sitting at 1-1, their postseason dreams could very well hinge on getting through the next month with at least a .500 record, which means with the Packers and Saints still on the slate, a loss to the Eagles might prove to be their undoing.
Keep in mind too, there are only 16 games. You don’t owe anybody an apology for being a pro football fan. Even if the Eagles are going nowhere, you might want to enjoy this season for whatever it is while it lasts, because before you know it, it’s over. Then it will be another eight months before the Birds play another one that counts.
And with a win, they are only two games out of first place, you know. Sorry, had to do it.
So put on your Vince Young jersey, crack open a beer, and join us. You undoubtedly aren’t pulling for Andy Reid, you might even be more concerned with a top 10 pick than another pointless victory. Whatever — just stick it to the G-men.
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Jason R. on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return