Jan 28, 2014, 10:34 AM EST
One of the biggest narratives to emerge from Nick Foles first season under Chip Kelly was that, Foles’ 27-to-2 regular season touchdown-to-interception ratio was much a function of his unwillingness to take shots downfield, bringing the sustainability of his production under intense fire in advent of Year 2.
Funny thing about that.
Foles this season led the NFL in percentage of pass attempts per dropback that traveled 20 yards or more with 17.4 percent, according to Pro Football Focus. Meaning, Foles took more shots downfield given his opportunities than anybody in the sport.
Before you light up the comment section with talk of “yards after catch,” the statistic considers only throws that traveled 20 yards downfield. So swing passes to LeSean McCoy and jailbreak screens to DeSean Jackson turned upfield aren’t a factor.
Also worth noting, Foles accuracy percentage on downfield shots (which accounts for dropped passes, though Foles had no such passes dropped), 45.5 percent, ranked seventh highest, and better than Rivers, Romo, Brees, Brady and Luck. His 14 touchdowns tied for second, behind only Brees’ 15 and even with Andy Dalton.
There are plenty of reasons to wait before buying all into Foles and his production this season, the chief reason among them being, the Eagles can’t touch his rookie deal until after his third NFL season, 2014. To earn a long-term commitment, he’ll have to prove himself next season – at least.
But suffice it to say, the notion that the guy’s interception numbers are bound to skyrocket once he takes shots downfield is, frankly, utterly false and unfounded.
It’s what he did all last year.
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return