Nov 27, 2011, 7:40 PM EST
Remember when the Eagles enjoyed that 10-0 lead over the Patriots? Yeah, that was fun. Tom Brady and the New England offense abused Juan Castillo’s defense all afternoon en route to a 38-20 win. It was ugly in every way imaginable.
Desean Jackson dropping passes. Nate Allen missing tackles and overrunning plays. Joselio Hanson getting torched by Wes Welker. Andy Reid and Marty Mornhinweg hoping Vince Young could win a shootout with Tom Brady. You name it, it was ugly.
Too bad the Eagles do not script more than just their first fifteen plays. Their first two series, consisting of eleven plays, resulted in 10 quick points. From that point forward they managed only a 22-yard Alex Henery field goal before a garbage time touchdown in the waning seconds of the game.
Defensively, they had no answer for the Patriots. Time and again the Pats lined up in a five receiver set, spread out the Eagles defensive backs, and killed them with crossing routes. The front four managed to pressure Brady over the first few series, but the pressure was nonexistent for long stretches after that.
The few times they did get near Brady he eluded the rush and picked up yards on the ground. How bad was it? Shady McCoy had 10 carries for 31 yards. Tom Brady had 5 carries for 28 yards.
Brady finished the day 24/34 for 361 yards. He connected with Welker 8 times for 115 yards and 2 TD’s. Deion Branch, who looked a lot like the guy who won a Super Bowl MVP trophy against the Eagles, hauled in 6 catches for 125 yards.
On the flip-side, Desean Jackson was horrid. He dropped two would-be touchdown passes. He failed to fair catch a punt which subsequently rolled inside the ten. The fans at the Linc showered Jackson with boos after his drops.
However, the fans saved the bulk of their ire for Andy Reid. “Andy Sucks” and “Fire Andy” chants broke out throughout the crowd and were audible over the CBS telecast.
In a season of disappointment, this game was perhaps the most disheartening.
The Eagles stand at 4-7. You are what your record says you are. The Eagles have certainly earned it.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return