Nov 21, 2011, 12:00 AM EDT
With Michael Vick out due to injury, and LeSean McCoy finding little room to run, a rusty Vince Young did just enough to lead the Birds offense to 17 points, while the defense stepped up when their teammates needed them most, limiting the Giants offense to 278 total yards and 10 points. The Eagles move up to 4-6, still a below-average mark, but keeping them no further than two games out of first place in the NFC East.
Young did throw three interceptions, one of them the club’s eighth turnover in the red zone this year, but the former third overall pick tossed a pair of touchdowns, including the game winner — an eight yarder to Riley Cooper in the back of the end zone with 2:50 remaining. Young got better as the game went on, finishing 23/36 with 258 yards passing, while Cooper had a breakthrough performance, catching five balls for 75 yards.
There were a bunch of solid lines on offense, but the defense set the tone early, allowing Young and his mates to overcome a slow start.
The Giants weren’t very successful in any phase of the game, rushing for a paltry 29 yards, while Eli Manning failed to find any kind of rhythm. The Giants finally got something going in the fourth quarter, when Nnamdi Asomugha left Victor Cruz behind him in the end zone for a 24-yard TD to knot the game at 10. Jason Babin came up with the big play of the game though, stripping Eli to finish any hopes of another comeback.
Plenty of fans may have already given up on this season, but the Eagles — even with their backup quarterback at the helm — continue to battle. As much as the idea might sound laughable, a post-season berth technically is still possible. Who knows what can happen if they have more efforts like these. More to come…
|Stan on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Jason R. on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|2sentz on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money