Aug 26, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
Poor Kevin Kolb. He arguably never got a fair shake in Philly, hustled in and out of the lineup for Wildcat packages in his first game as the starting quarterback until he was injured and ultimately replaced. Never had a chance in Arizona behind one of the most putrid offensive lines imaginable. Now he may never even get an opportunity in Buffalo, or anywhere else for that matter, thanks to another concussion.
According to a report, Kolb’s latest head injury – at least the third of his NFL career – is considered potentially career-threatening. The Bills’ quarterback left Saturday’s preseason game with the injury, and the team is preparing for the distinct possibility that’s the last we’ve seen of the 2009 second-round pick.
[The Buffalo News' Tim] Graham tweeted Sunday: “Source tells me Bills concerned Kevin Kolb’s concussion may be career-ending and they’re proceeding with that in mind.
“At least 3rd career concussion for Kevin Kolb. Hit didn’t look serious, but source tells me response in locker room was disconcerting.”
A concussion of course is what knocked Kolb out of a job with the Eagles in 2010. Mike Vick replaced him in a losing effort against Green Bay, then the following week No. 7 led the Birds to win in Detroit. Kolb was cleared to return after that, but Andy Reid had seen enough to name Vick the starter going forward.
Kolb made seven career starts for the Eagles, posting a 3-4 record. In those games he completed 148 of 239 pass attempts (61.9%) for 1,714 yards (7.2 average) with 10 touchdowns and nine interceptions, good for an 81.4 passer rating. He was also named the NFC Offensive Player of the Week twice. In 2011 Kolb was traded to the Cardinals in 2011 for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second-round pick that the team turned into Vinny Curry and Brandon Boykin.
It seems unlikely Kolb ever would have been a star, but it’s unfortunate how his career worked out, even if he does manage to one day step on to a football field again. At least he got a couple big paydays out of it though, and you just hope he gets out of the game before there’s any long-term damage.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return