May 13, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
I am no stat geek, no sabermetrician. But I do like to think that I am an intelligent person who is very capable of realizing that in some instances, advanced statistics in sports can be used as a valuable tool in many settings.
To what degree are they useful? The truth there is certainly open for debate. But saying analytics “just don’t work,” that just seems dumb.
Former Sixers coach Larry Brown was on 94 WIP to talk about the new Sixers GM Sam Hinkie and his specialty in analytics. The whole thing is a head scratcher. Even the intro by Anthony Gargano of Larry Brown as a “great wisdom guy” is irksome. What does that mean? Wisdom = old guy who uses his eyes?
Here’s what Brown has to say about stats in basketball.
“Any information you get is going to help you, but I’m not one of those guys.”
Okay so far. That seems to make sense. Sort of, but not entirely.
“Basketball is not like baseball.”
Bigger balls. Got it. Still okay.
“You can use that [analytics] knowledge and help things, but at the end of the day it doesn’t work in basketball in my mind.”
So it helps but it doesn’t work.
Also, he says Lou Williams could guard guys at the end of games? WHAT?!
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|willh888 on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Gregg on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|bruiserbrigade on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money