Jan 13, 2014, 11:58 AM EST
If you’re anything like me, you might flip on the Pro Bowl for a few minutes on whatever day/night it’s televised if you’re not already in the middle of a Sopranos or Breaking Bad binge-watching session, but mostly because you’re curious what the weather is like in Hawaii or how awful of a shirt Andy Reid can come up with. Maybe the Pro Bowl cheerleading squad is worth checking in on.
The game? Meh. Although there is a new fun twist this year that could be intriguing.
But make no mistake, getting a Pro Bowl nod as a player is still a pretty nice honor. Especially for first timers like Nick Foles, who made the game over the weekend sort of by default. With one of the Super Bowl quarterbacks now definitely being a Pro Bowler, that means the first alternate gets the nod.
That means Nick Foles will be wearing some floral prints.
As a refresher, the NFL is changing formats this year:
Gone is the familiar AFC vs. NFC match-up that has existed since 1971. Instead, players will be selected without regard to conference in voting by fans, coaches and players. For example, the top six quarterbacks following voting will earn distinction as All-Stars, regardless of how many are from AFC or NFC teams.
And that’s why the Patriots winning over the weekend locked up a Pro Bowl selection for an NFC QB in Foles.
CSN’s Reuben Frank has much more on Foles numbers this year and quirky stats like Nick being the third Eagles QB in the past 5 seasons to make it to Hawaii following in Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick’s footsteps.
But not everybody is stoked to hit the beach. Perennial Pro Bowler Jason Peters opted out of participating this year. No real reason was given, but he did have a few nagging injuries all year.
I know I joked above about not giving a real thought to the Pro Bowl in the past, but this new format at least adds something to the typically boring affair. Do you think teams getting drafted for the Pro Bowl will increase the likelihood you’d tune in?
And damn. If someone told you over the summer that Nick Foles would be playing in the Pro Bowl this season I think it’s safe to say you would have thought they were crazy. What a great surprise from Chip Kelly and the Eagles this season.
|Steve on Adrian Peterson thinks Mike Vi…|
|Ummmm on Union unveil new primary kits,…|
|bulldogmomanne on Before This Week, the Most Un-…|
|BirdGangT on With $13 million guaranteed, J…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return