Feb 1, 2012, 11:10 AM EST
The beginning of the end of Philadelphia being a two newspaper town seems to be here. We’re told guild members were informed via email about management’s plans to align the Daily News’ and Inquirer’s sports staffs along with the Philly.com staff to work together to better compete with outsiders as opposed to each other.
It’s like you’ve been fighting against your only brother that you absolutely hated your entire life only to — as your father lay on his death bed — be ordered to join forces and work together to save your family name.
Dogs and cats, living together.
The details on how this will work exactly have yet to be determined, we’re told, but we hear things could get messy. The email apparently said that there were no current plans to eliminate staff, but it’s hard not to worry about redundancy.
The two papers’ sports desks working together is also likely the first step in other departments joining forces at some point down the road. Just how closely the two will end up merging into one will be fascinating to watch unfold.
Philadelphia Media Network’s chief executive announced in November that the two papers and Philly.com are going to be relocating to a new building in center city and sharing the same floor.
|t800m101 on Video: Flyers and Capitals eng…|
|realist on Before This Week, the Most Un-…|
|The Evster on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Mungman on Why the upcoming free agency b…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return