Philly transplant and current New Orleanian Jrue Holiday sticks up for Philly fans in Santa bait piece
Jan 3, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Sometimes when the Earth is at a certain distance from the Sun during a certain time of year and the clouds high in the atmosphere become too condensed with H20, gravity forces the water molecules to fall from the sky, often freezing along the way and forming things called snowflakes.
Sometimes, in certain parts of the world, humans who are also fans of sports take a big handful of these snowflakes and crunch them into a sphere in the optimal shape for throwing. Sometimes they toss these snowballs at Santa Claus.
And all of the time these rare instances are written about by opposing teams heading to Philadelphia to play a sporting event.
Up today, Jeff Duncan of the Times-Picayune, who writes about the hostile environment the Saints will face on Saturday night in South Philly. And yes, he mentions the 700 level Mount Rizzo of booing Santa, throwing batteries, Pukemon, and a giddy fanbase after Michael Irvin’s injury.
But then the writer decides to ask a guy playing in New Orleans today who just a year ago was working hard in Philadelphia – former Sixers All-Star and current Pelican, Jrue Holiday.
“I think (Philly fans) are very supportive, but they keep it real with you,” said New Orleans Pelicans guard Jrue Holiday, who played his first three NBA seasons for the Philadelphia 76ers. “If you’re playing bad, they are going to let you know you are playing bad. Like in basketball they talk about the sixth man, the crowd is going to be their (Eagles) sixth man. They are very vocal. It’s going to be fun for the Saints.”
Thanks, Jrue. We wish you all the best in NOLA.
Okay, who else can you get to say nice things about Philly fans? How about the Saints’ head coach Sean Payton?
“The sports fans are amazing there, very passionate and a real die-hard fan base,” Payton said. “That presents challenges when you play, especially in the playoffs.”
So you can go on mentioning all the shitty shit we’ve ever done and use players and coaches to talk about how awesome we are.
I’ll bask in the latter. Maybe do a snow angel while I’m at it.
|Stan on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Jason R. on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|2sentz on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money