Jan 30, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Sean McDermott’s time as Eagles defensive coordinator was short lived under Andy Reid. It’s safe to say he was one of many scapegoats during the fall of the once mighty Reid era. But McDermott’s career bounced back in a big way since departing Philadelphia and he’s found great success working for the Carolina Panthers.
In fact, McDermott was named NFL Coordinator of the Year by the Sporting News and CSNPhilly’s Reuben Frank caught up with him recently to talk about the honor and what kind of influence being a Philly guy has on his career and systems.
“I live in Charlotte now, but I grew up in Philly, I spent a lot of years with the Eagles, and that Philly toughness, that’s what I want in a defense,” McDermott said from Charlotte Thursday. “That’s been my life. That’s who I am.”
Frank’s piece leads to the question of whether McDermott could have had similar success in Philadelphia given a lengthier opportunity. The Carolina coordinator says he doesn’t like to look in the rearview, but Frank spouts off names like Ernie Sims, Ellis Hobbs, Dimitri Patterson and Moise Fokou that make you wonder what he could have done with some real quality talent in Philadelphia.
As for the “Philly-tough defense” thing though, as more and more years pass since Jim Johnson’s life and career came to an end, kids growing up in Philly today might not feel as much pride in the label.
Hopefully a couple of solid drafts under Chip Kelly can help change that.
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
|philasopher on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money