Aug 31, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
Legendary Eagles quarterback Randall Cunningham was a guest on Howard Eskin’s show yesterday on 610 WIP and discussed a wide range of topics.
Aside from Randall’s backing of Donovan McNabb — “I believe Donovan McNabb is going to take his team very, very far this year, and you might see Philadelphia and Minnesota in that NFC championship game, who knows.” — the most interesting anecdote from Randall’s convo with Eskin and Reese was the mind blowing financial figure he said he’d turn down to give up his No. 12 to a current Eagles player.
Now, Randall’s No. 12 is still a fixture among Birds fans in the stands at the Linc on any given Sunday, but it’s not officially retired. That said, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie thinks so highly of Cunningham that he doesn’t want to give up No. 12 unless Randall approves. [audio below]
New Eagles wide receiver Steve Smith would love to rock the No. 12 jersey this season, but would Randall give up the number for cash?
“No, I would not take it for a million bucks,” Randall said. “For Jeffrey Lurie to put me in the honor roll like that, that’s not something I take for granted. I went out and I bought a ring, like a Super Bowl ring, because of that honor and I put Philadelphia Eagles on it. That’s my ring I show everybody. People ask me if that’s a Super Bowl ring and I say, ‘No. This is the ring they let me know that I was one of the players in the history of the Philadelphia Eagles and they honored me.”
No. 12 remains Randall Cunningham’s number with the Philadelphia Eagles. And that’s alright with me.
|phillyphanatic77 on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Hiccup on Cliff Lee struck out 13 Braves…|
|Chutley on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Mostel on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money